- Feb. 2017
- Provide special aggregated lightning data, optimized for websites, mobile and broadcast.
What is it about?
The Weather API is a weather data service — it allows you to get weather data for every location on earth.
This weather data can be either observation data (actual measured weather) or forecast data. The weather forecast you get is computed by MeteoGroup's innovative weather forecast system.
General API Features
- Flexible queries by one or more locations with a single request
- Flexible selection of weather parameters; freely selectable from available data sets
- Flexible selection of forecast or observation time; ranging from last 30 days to 15 days into the future
- Correct time zone handling and transformation
- Support multiple units, like metric and imperial ones
- High-performance and scalable server infrastructure, which grows with customer's needs
Available data sets
Point Forecast & Observation
MeteoGroup’s innovative forecast system delivers high quality weather forecasts for more than 50.000 stations world-wide. The forecast calculation is optimized with real time observations to achieve even higher accuracy for 6 hours into the future (nowcasting).
During a heavy summer storm, multiple 10.000 lightning strikes or flashes can happen. MeteoGroup offers not only world-wide access to the raw observation data, but also an aggregated data set, which is optimized for usage on website, mobile or broadcast visualisations.
Sunrise & Sunset
When the sun sets, the horizon's color turns into beautiful variations of yellow, orange and red. MeteoGroup's API offers concrete sunset and sunrise times, so you will be informed, when to look towards the horizon.
How does it work?
The central concept of the Weather API is a HTTP request, specified by its parameters. You as a consumer send a request and receive a response containing the weather information.
- The type of request determines what kind of weather information you get, whether you want to get actual observed data or a weather forecast.
- With the request parameters you specify, for example, for which location you receive the data for.
- The data you receive is formatted as a JSON and contains weather parameters like air temperature or rain probability.
How do I get access?
The API usage is exclusively granted to authenticated users. To obtain these credentials please kindly use our contact form.
What does it cost?
During our beta phase, the pricing model is not fixed. To obtain your individual offer please kindly use our contact form.
- Jan. 2017
- Access to lightning observation data is offered.
- Dec. 2016
- Adding sunrise and sunset to the available data sets.
- Oct. 2016
- Adding time-wise aggregation for parameters, like e.g. maximum temperature for day or night.
- Aug. 2016
- Adding weather station observation data sets.
- Jan. 2016
From now on Weather API delivers the very first five weather parameters of the hourly forecast:
- air temperature
- wind speed
- wind gust
- air pressure
- dew point temperature
- Nov. 2015
- Restricted the access to the API, for the development there are free keys available, send a request via contact form.
- Oct. 2015
- Introduced resolving of time zone information for any requested location on earth
- Sep. 2015
- Launch of the Weather API and simply providing dummy data (because we breathe lean software development)